Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cheesy Cucumber Sandwich

3 oz Cream Cheese (Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
1 teaspoon milk (Silk Soy Milk)
Onion Salt (powder)
Garlic Salt (powder)
1 Cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
6 pieces of bread ( 3 pita breads)
Alfalfa sprouts (my addition)

Mix cream cheese with milk to soften. 
Season with onion and garlic.
Spread mixture on bread.
Top spread with cucumbers.

3 Sandwiches

This turned out excellent!  I only had garlic and onion powders so I used those instead.  The powders were good for lower sodium intake anyway which I feel is important.  I am always finding ways to reduce salt intake so my blood pressure isn't up.  However I got to admit that I love salty snacks :).  Cream cheese and milk were nondairy.  The cream cheese was actually made with tofu and it tastes the same as regular cheese to me.  I used pita bread even though it is not be good for my blood type with the wheat flour :(   Next time I vow to use bread that is I should eating (gluten free, Ezekiel, etc).  Since cream cheese can be tough to soften with the milk (or I 'm impatient) use the blender or mixer to combine the ingredients.   I did once toast the pita bread too long in the toaster oven ( or it was overheated) which made it hard to fold over.  I add alfalfa sprouts to the recipe since I had them in my fridge and did not want them to go to waste. Jesse tried a sandwich and totally loved it!  He said, "It just like a Greek gyro without the meat."  I am so happy when he loves the food I make!  Together for over ten years I can't believe how much I love him and how lucky I am to find a kindred spirit in him.
Upcoming Challenge:  Vegan Reuben Sandwich 
This coming weekend I hope to make this thanks to a recipe from Vegan Dad.  This recipe will make Rookie Cookie's easy recipe complicated.  Remember my challenge is to make the recipes at least vegetarian. 

Wish me luck!!!!!

Update: I tried this sandwich on gluten free bread recently. It was good but not as good as the pita bread. I have to find gluten free pita bread or pita bread made with the type of flour my blood type can have.

1 comment: